John-Lewis scores late at Yeovil for the win

John-Lewis scores late at Yeovil for the win

Match result
Yeovil Logo
City of York logo

Huish Park

Saturday, September 3 – 3:00 p.m.

The Minstermen started September with a win after claiming a narrow 1-0 win over Yeovil Town at Huish Park.

Lenell John-Lewis’ third goal of the season proved to be the game’s only goal as City extended their National League unbeaten streak to three games.

The home side came into this game not in the greatest form, having recorded just one win in their first six National League games this season.

Chris Hargreaves’ side were hoping their fortunes could change after playing out a 0-0 draw at Wealdstone six days ago and hoped they could get back to winning ways against the Minstermen.

City traveled to Somerset hoping they could continue their recent form, which saw them register four from six points over the bank holiday weekend most recently.

John Askey has named a side unchanged from the one that faced Oldham Athletic on Monday afternoon. The only change on the bench saw defender Alex Whittle return from injury in place of midfielder Scott Burgess.

After a slow start, Yeovil nearly opened the scoring as wing-back Morgan Williams curled a whipped cross into the area towards the back post, but striker Alex Fisher was unable to guide the ball home. his head and out for a goal kick.

Alex Hurst had a chance for the Minstermen after nine minutes as he drilled a left-footed effort well over the bar, after the striker found time and space on the ball at the edge of Yeovil’s penalty area, before midfielder Maziar Kouhyar had a weak effort blocked and cleared by a green jersey.

City had further chances to break the deadlock at Huish Park as captain Lenell John-Lewis had a goal-directed header knocked down the crossbar by keeper Grant Smith, but the game was retired for a kick frank after a fault in the preparation. , before Olly Dyson came close to scoring his second goal in as many games as he had a left-footed shot well held by the goalkeeper.

York had more chances in front of goal as they looked to be the better side in the first half. John-Lewis was volleyed from close range for a corner by Grant, before Dyson fired wide of the target after a low cross into the area by right-back Ryan Fallowfield.

The home side had a few chances themselves in what turned out to be an uneventful first half for The Glovers. Captain Josh Staunton and defender Ben Richards-Everton both had free headers towards goal in the penalty area from set pieces but both chances were ruled out for offside by the linesman .

Malachi Linton headed over the bar from close range early in the second half for the home side, before Sam Perry flew over the bar from the edge of the box after York n failed to clear the ball to form a safe corner.

City themselves had chances immediately afterwards as Alex Hurst saw a shot blocked by a Yeovil defender at the edge of the box after cutting inside the left to shoot, before Mitch Hancox headed wide of the goal from a corner from the right side.

York received a penalty twenty minutes from time after Staunton handled the ball in the box. John-Lewis advanced from twelve yards, but his weak fate was saved by the Smith’s legs, before the keeper pounced on the stray ball to end any danger presented to the home side.

More chances fell for Askey’s side as they still looked for an opening in the game. After bright balls were played into the box a number of times, Fallowfield, John-Lewis and Hancox failed to try their luck from close range as it looked like it wouldn’t be York’s day in front of goal.

The match required a bit of luck and York finally found it with eleven minutes to go by John-Lewis. After a brilliant low ball into the penalty area from the left, the ball fell on the City captain on the edge of the box. His shot on goal took a deflection and caught Grant off-footing Yeovil’s goal, before the ball bounced into the bottom right corner for his third goal of the season.

The home side hit the bar in the second half with a header from a corner but failed to take their chance as Yeovil fell to their third defeat of the season.

The Minstermen’s victory sees them move within two points of the National League playoff spots, which thrilled Askey and his team at the full-time whistle.

York are back in action next Saturday afternoon when they entertain Dagenham and Redbridge at the LNER Community Stadium, where they will look to back up that performance with another three crucial points. (kick-off at 3 p.m.).

City of Yeovil (5-2-3): Smith (GK), Williams (Pearson 60′), Hunt, Staunton, Richards-Everton, Reckford, D’Ath, Wakefield, Perry, Linton (Touré 60′), Fisher (Johnson 80′)

Unused subtitles: Scrimshaw, Bevan

Goals: N / A

Yellow cards: From Ath

York (3-5-2): Ross (GK), Kouogun, Kerr, Sanders, Fallowfield, Dyson, Pybus, Hancox, Kouhyar, Hurst (Boden 65′), John-Lewis

Unused subtitles: Whitley, Duku, Whittle, Greaves

Goals: Jean-Lewis (79′)

Yellow cards: Kerr, John Lewis

Arbitrator: Aji Ajibola

Presence: 2,294 (137 away supporters)

Match statistics

Shots on target: 4-6

Shots off target: 2-7

Corners: 4-3

Offside: 4-1

Fouls: 5-11

Yellow cards: 1-2

Red cards: 0-0

Comments are closed.