Millwall fan, 60, seriously injured in football match attack as 30-year-old is arrested

A 60-year-old Millwall fan is hospitalized in Birmingham after being attacked before a match in the city, where he had been traveling with his family. The man, from London, was due to watch his team play Birmingham City when he was attacked on Cattell Road near St Andrews Stadium.

The attack took place shortly before 3 p.m. on Saturday 23 April. As an extensive police operation unfolded in the area ahead of the match, police quickly attended the scene to deal with the man before he was taken to hospital. West Midlands Police described her injuries as ‘severe’ and said she was working to support her family. He remained hospitalized on Sunday (April 24).

A 30-year-old man from Smethwick, West Midlands, was arrested and held on suspicion of assault under Section 18. On Sunday, police announced he had been released on bail. The motive for the attack is unknown, police said.

READ MORE: Thugs wielding a hammer and machete ‘attack the man at Elephant and Castle in broad daylight’ as horrified members of the public watch

An investigation is ongoing and Birmingham Police say they have spoken to witnesses, reviewed CCTV footage and examined the area forensically. Anyone who witnessed what happened is asked to contact West Midlands Police.

Violence was also reported in the stadium during the game. Five other people were arrested after the match after reports that “bricks, bottles and objects were used as weapons”.

A spokesperson for Millwall Football Club said: “The club are assisting the police and other authorities in their investigation into the disturbances involving the two groups of supporters following the end of Saturday’s game. Anyone found guilty of such offenses will receive an indefinite ban from home and away matches.”

In a statement, West Midlands Police said: “The level of violence – in which our officers put themselves in the middle to protect people – meant that some of our officers had to wear public order helmets, use shields and fire their batons, while continually warning people to get away.

“We understand how the scene may have frightened people who had nothing to do with the violence. Bricks, bottles and objects were used as weapons in hotspots around Digbeth and other areas between the stadium and New Street station.

“Our Football Police Unit and CID Force detectives have opened a joint investigation. They are working closely with football clubs and supporter groups. Further arrests will take place in the coming weeks, which means that anyone involved should immediately report to the local police station to explain what happened.”

Want more MyLondon? Sign up for our free newsletters here.

Comments are closed.