Report: Stevenage 3-1 Walsall – News


Stevenage Football Club’s two-goal lead is reinforced by a third at the last minute as Paul Tisdale’s men walk away with three points…

In Stevenage’s first game at Lamex in 2022, Paul Tisdale introduced three new hires into the starting XI. Christie Pym, Luke O’Neill and the return of Michael Bostwick were all part of the squad.

After just twenty-four seconds, Boro took the lead. Rookie right-back Luke O’Neill scored a cross which was slapped by Walsall’s Rollin Menayese. An incredibly bright for the men of Tisdale.

The momentum would continue to go in Stevenage’s direction as eight minutes later the lead was doubled. A nice passage of play outside the box led Jake Reeves to pick up the ball on the right side and cross Chris Lines at the far post who nodded.

The next ten minutes of the game became disjointed as the sky opened and the rain began to fall. Neither team pressed hard on the opposing keeper as Boro looked to keep their lead.

Just before the half hour mark, Walsall saw the goal for the first time. A corner was initially cleared with Stephen Ward waiting at the edge of the box, but his first effort deflected for another corner.

Scott Cuthbert received Stevenage’s first yellow card for pushing a Walsall player back to the edge of the box. The resulting free kick was sent into the box but eventually cleared by Boro’s determined defense.

With five minutes left before the break, Stevenage was forced into a substitution as Michael Bostwick fell with what appeared to be a cramp. To replace him was another new signing, central midfielder Ed Upson.

In the dying moments of the first half, Stevenage tried to score again. The ball fell to Jake Taylor, who was playing a more attacking role in that game, but his left-footed effort flew just off the post.

Moments after the start of the second half, Boro created another scoring opportunity. Jake Taylor starred in Luke Norris in the box whose powerful strike was well captured by Carl Rushworth.

Six minutes later, Walsall was in the spotlight as he aimed to get back into the game. Conor Wilkinson sought to retrieve one, but Christy Pym was able to watch his tame effort role after the post.

Charlie Carter was brought onto the Lamex pitch after the hour mark for the first time since August, replacing Bruno Andrade.

With twenty minutes to go, Walsall recovered a goal. Brendan Kiernan’s weak effort on the left managed to get past Pym in goal, with the Saddlers now within one comeback.

Matt Taylor’s men continued to put the pressure on as Conor Wilkinson nearly equaled seven minutes behind. His impending effort seemed to slip into the far post, but Christy Pym denied.

Nine minutes remained and Luke Norris was replaced by Terence Vancooten in a defensive substitution, hoping to maintain his lead.

A few minutes later, Boro came very close to killing the match. Charlie Carter’s header bounced off the crossbar, giving the Saddlers hope.

The fourth official said there were four minutes to go at the end of the game as Boro appeared to remain strong defensively. Finally, the hard work paid off as Stevenage added a third. Jake Taylor drove the ball to the signing before passing it past Rushworth to secure his first of the season.

Seconds later, Mr. Oldham blew his whistle to end an entertaining clash at Lamex and send smiles to Boro’s faithful back home. Paul Tisdale scored his first victory as Stevenage Boss and his team kicked off 2022 at Lamex in the right way.

Attendance today was 2167 with 338 Walsall supporters.


Comments are closed.